About Me

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Double Mint Hidden Cookies

When I was a child, I would wait for my mom to make these cookies!  She would sometimes leave off the mint topping and top the cookie with a walnut half.  I wonder if my mom knows how many walnuts I removed from cookie tops to throw into the garbage......  I prefer this method, with the mint hidden inside the cookie and the Andes Mint topping, this cookie tastes like candy.  You will love the the texture, it's a "cake" type cookie, very soft.  Mint wafers can sometimes be hard to find.  My local grocery carries them by the hanging bags of bulk candy.  This is another huge recipe :)!


Double Mint Hidden Cookies
2 c. margarine
2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
1/4 c. water
2 tsp. vanilla
6 c. flour
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
at least 10 oz. mint wafers (a little more)
6 dozen Andes mints

Cream butter and sugars.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Add water and vanilla and mix well.  Add dry ingredients, mix thoroughly.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.  Place 1 inch balls of dough on cookie sheet, approximately 2 inches apart.  Enclose 1 mint wafer inside each ball (push mint into center of ball, pull sides up to cover).  Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes, until golden.  Remove from oven, place 1/2 of Andes mint on top of each cookie.  Let melt slightly (1-2 minutes), using spoon, spread softened mint to gently cover cookie.  Remove to cooling rack to cool. Yields approximately 6 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea of the choc. on top! I love hidden mint cookies and also hated the walnuts as a kid - of course now love it that way but my kids don't. Will have to give this a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what your talking about Sara. I have tried different things to make this cookie more attractive without the walnut, including drizzling chocolate on top. I like to use mint wafers inside and those mints tend to be kind of mild (mint flavor), so the added mint flavoring on top works really well!

      -Sarah

      Delete

Please share with me your comments!