About Me

Monday, December 17, 2012

Sloppy Joes

I found it!!  I have never been happy with my Sloppy Joes, everyone else makes them so much better!  Not any more :).  I think most people just throw stuff together when they make theirs, that doesn't work for me.  I have tried many recipes, many call for green pepper (which doesn't go over very well in this house), or they are really blah, or they just have too many "scary" ingredients.  We had some friends over after our church Christmas program.  I knew Sloppy Joes were a good idea, I could put them going before the program, they would be ready when we got home.....  Then I remembered that I don't know how to make a good Sloppy Joe.  I went online to do some hunting and this is what I found, not a green pepper in sight, yet with a pinch of cayenne pepper, just the right amount of zing (not spicy, just nice flavor).  I will admit, I thought, molasses?  I followed the recipe exactly.  This will be my Sloppy Joe recipe!


Sloppy Joes
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 c. chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced 
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce 
1/2 c. ketchup 
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 
1 tsp. molasses 
1 tsp. prepared mustard 
1/2 tsp. ground mustard 
pinch cayenne pepper 
salt/pepper to taste

In a saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, prepared mustard, ground mustard and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for minimum 5 minutes (the longer the better). Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
WW PointsPlus™ = 3 pts. per serving 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fun yummy recipes! I haven't had a problem making "good" sloppy joe's before but I thought I'd give these a try and they are like you said, extra good! That little zip!
    Kathleen H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen! I am really excited about this recipe. Sloppy Joe's are supposed to me such a quick and easy meal, I almost never make them. I will now!

      Delete

Please share with me your comments!