About Me

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Navy Bean and Ham Soup

It's freezing out!  I know I shouldn't complain, we could have a lot more of this frigid weather....  A must for these chili days is soup!  This is what I like to call "real" homemade soup.  You need a soup bone, dried beans, potatoes.  Not a can in sight.  Save those ham bones, they are filled with flavor!  If you have never prepared dried beans with this quick method, do it!  It works great!  I love, love, love this soup!


Navy Bean and Ham Soup
7 c. water
1 lb. navy beans
1 sm. onion, chopped
2 lg. carrots, grated
2 c. cubed cooked ham
2 lg. potatoes, peeled and cubed small
1 ham bone
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
dash pepper

Heat water and beans to boiling in large kettle; boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.  Stir in remaining ingredients, excluding potatoes (add potatoes after soup has simmered for 30 minutes).  Heat to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 1-1/4 hours (do not boil or beans will burst).  Remove ham bone and bay leaf; trim meat from bone and stir into soup.

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite too! I always say that this soup tastes like my childhood. It was my favorite growing up and I never outgrew it. My friend Mindi told me that she does it in the crockpot and it works perfectly -- just dump everything in. I just make sure to keep it on low so that it doesn't boil...mushy beans aren't as good. I need to put this on the menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom has the best "good old down home recipes"! I love soups on these chilly days, warms the tummy and warms the heart...

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Awww, two of my favorite people... a sister and a daughter.

    sandy

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments!