About Me

Friday, May 11, 2012

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup

When I was growing up, you actually had to visit the restaurant in Byerly's grocery stores to get this delicious soup!  Now I think you can buy it frozen from just about any grocer.  I'm assuming my mom found the recipe in the "Byerly's Cookbook" that she purchased years ago (I wonder if it's still around....).  It's definitely the best Wild Rice Soup I have ever had, very rich and creamy!

Do ahead tip:  Make big batches of wild rice at once, measure and package what you don't need and freeze, it thaws wonderfully, just run under hot water!


Byerly's Wild Rice Soup

6 T. butter or margarine
1 T. onion, diced (more is better)
1/2 c. flour
3 c. chicken broth
2 c. cooked wild rice
1/2 c. minced ham
1/2 c. carrots, shredded
3 T. slivered almonds
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. half and half

Saute' onion in butter until tender.  Gradually blend in flour.  Slowly add broth.  Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.  Boil 1 minute.  Stir in rice, ham, carrots, almonds and salt.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Blend in half and half.  Heat to serving temperature.  Yields approximately 5 cups.
WW PointsPlus™ = 10 pts. per cup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments!