About Me

Monday, May 28, 2012

Rhubarb Torte

Rhubarb again!  Tis the season.....  I think I could safely say that Rhubarb Torte is one of my very favorite desserts, usually the first rhubarb recipe of the year.  Before I had ever made anything with meringue, I assumed it was a difficult feat, I was wrong!  It's very easy, and oh so good.

FYI:  I am now on summer break from school, I lease a laptop during the school year, but have to return it for the summer.  That means I am now competing for computer time with my kids, which means less blogging time... I am loving this project, so I get a bit frustrated about this.  Hang in there, the recipes will continue, possibly at a slower rate during the summer months  :(.


Rhubarb Torte

Crust:
1 c. butter
2 T. sugar
2 c. flour

Cut butter into sugar and flour until crumbly.  Pat into a 9 x 13-inch pan, bake at 350° for 12 minutes.  Meanwhile prepare filling.

Filling:
6 egg yolks (reserve whites)
2 c. sugar
1 c. whipping cream (not whipped)
5 c. rhubarbs (diced)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. flour

Mix egg yolks, sugar, whipping cream, salt and flour, fold in rhubarb.  Pour over crust, return to oven, bake additional 45-50 minutes or until set.  Meanwhile prepare meringue.

Meringue:
6 egg whites
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat all ingredients until stiff, cover baked filling, return to oven until meringue is golden brown, approximately 5-10 minutes.  Yields 24 pieces.
WW PointsPlus™ = 7 pts. per piece

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments!