About Me

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese

I have never been one to make "home-made" macaroni and cheese, most of the recipes I come across look great to me, but I know my kids would frown on some of the added ingredients.  Until this one.  This is extremely basic, nothing fancy, no scary "things" added, therefore a huge hit at this house.  The original recipe calls for elbow macaroni noodles, but we prefer egg noodles.  You can skip the bread crumbs if you wish.


Macaroni and Cheese

1-1/2 c. uncooked elbow macaroni noodles (5 c. egg noodles)
4 T. butter
3 T. flour
1-1/2 c. milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 oz. American cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
diced bread crumbs (optional)
melted butter (optional)

Cook noodles according to directions.  Melt butter in medium saucepan, stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Heat until bubbly.  Add milk, heat until warm.  Stir in cheeses; cook and stir until cheeses are melted.  Pour sauce over cooked noodles, mix well.  Put into greased 9 x 9-inch casserole pan.  Top with bread crumbs, drizzle with melted butter.  Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments!