About Me

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mrs. Wages Salsa

I think I have mentioned it before, I am a lazy cook.  If there is an easier way to achieve basically the same results, meaning, flavor and taste is not lost, I am all for it!  This is the perfect example.  I have been making salsa this way for years.  I used to spend so much time and energy with my old recipe, after making this one, I came to the conclusion that we loved this salsa as much as the other, and this one is way easier.  I made this batch this morning, actually I boiled and chopped the the tomatoes last night and left them in the refrigerator until this morning.  The flavors of this mix is extremely good and the prep is so simple!  All you need is Mrs. Wages Salsa Mix, tomatoes and vinegar.  Oh, and don't forget the jars!

Note: one package makes 6 pints.  General rule of thumb - if you have a heaping ice cream bucket of tomatoes, you have enough for a batch.


I debated about putting this on my blog and decided I would because I remember how excited I was when I first tasted this salsa and then learned how simple is was to make.  I have even made it when tomatoes are not in season, using canned tomatoes.


7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I don't grow tomatoes but they're cheap a the farmer's market...I'm going to consider it. Is the canning hard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. 1st: Congratulations on new baby Clara Beth!! I hear from a good source that she is pretty awesome!

      This is super easy! Here's the process; you boil the tomatoes for 3 minutes, put into cold water, the skin slides off - chop the tomatoes, put into large pot, stir in Salsa Mix and 1/4 cup vinegar. Bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Put into sterilized jars, put lids on, boil in hot water bath for 40 minutes... Done! That's it. Actually the packaging also give instructions for freezing it instead of canning. You could easily fool someone into thinking you slaved in the kitchen all day to make this salsa!

      Delete
  2. Leanne, I can the same salsa. I use my food processor or blender to puree the tomatoes. The salsa is not chunky that way, but just as flavorful and makes it super easy. Sarah, I have been skipping the hot water bath part. I put the cooked salsa into warm jars and lids and turn them upside down for 10 min then turn them right side up. I don't hot water bath my salsa, relish, or jams anymore and they seal up perfect.
    Sis Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have skipped the hot water bath on relish, but wondered about salsa, hmmm.....

      Delete
  3. But you must do the boil tomato and remove skin part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do :), however, you don't have to chop onions, cut up peppers, chop jalapenos, etc.....

      Delete

Please share with me your comments!