About Me

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Monkey Bread (bread machine)

I think everyone has made Monkey Bread, there are many, many recipes to be found, often using frozen bread dough.  This is basically caramel rolls without rolling (I believe I have mentioned that I take the easy way out if possible :).  The bread is nisu bread, for you non-Finnish people, that translates to sweet bread.  I'm not crazy about the lack of flavor you get when just using a basic bread dough.  By the way, you can use this dough to make nisu breads also, or if you want to put the time into it (groan), you can make real caramel rolls or cinnamon rolls.


Monkey Bread

Bread Machine Nisu
1 c. warm milk
4 T. margarine
3 eggs
4 heaping c. bread flour
1-2/3 c. sugar, divided
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cardamom (optional)
2 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. cinnamon

Add ingredients in order listed to bread machine (using 2/3 c. sugar), run through dough cycle.  Meanwhile, combine 1 c. white sugar with cinnamon.  After cycle is completed, cut into chunks, roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture and drop in single layer in greased 9 x 13-inch pan.  Cover with cloth and let rise until double, about 45 minutes.

Caramel

1/2 c. margarine
1 c. brown sugar

Put ingredients into saucepan, stir and bring to boil, boil 1 minute.  Pour over bread chunks.  Bake at 350° for 25 minutes, or until golden. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then dump out onto cooling rack.  Yields 15 servings.
WW PointsPlus™ = 10 pts. per serving

7 comments:

  1. You are my kind of cook -- same flavor; easier prep. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are worth working for, but I'm all for making the work easier if possible!! By the way, loved the "sisters" picture!

      Delete
  2. Making these tonight! (The sisters photo has become a fun tradition. I hope the Heinonen girls do it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever put the caramel in the bottom before you put the chunks in? I have them in the oven and I'm trying to figure out how to flip them when they're done...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne, I "commented" to your "comment" rather than replied, grrr! Please read my comment below.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you figured something out by now about how to handle the caramel in the bottom :), but I hope you just left it as is and baked it, I would guess that when you dumped it, the caramel ran through the bread chunks (messy probably). When you make actual caramel rolls, you put the caramel in the bottom of the pan....

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments!