About Me

Friday, April 13, 2012

Ham and Potato Chowder

When I make a ham, I like to make sure I will have leftovers.  For sure this soup will be made.  My sister Karen first served this to us many years ago when we stayed with her family in lower Michigan.  Don't be afraid to make a big batch, it keeps well in the refrigerator.  I double to recipe for my family of eight (I end up with a couple servings leftover).  The water amount will seem like not enough liquid, it is.  Be sure to stir often, potatoes may want to stick to bottom of pot if you don't.  I also like to boil the potatoes until they are basically done before adding the rest of the ingredients.


Ham and Potato Chowder

1 lg. onion, chopped
2-1/2 c. milk
3 T. margarine
1-1/2 c. cubed ham
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. salt
4 med. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 T. flour with 1/2 c. milk
1/4 tsp. pepper

In large pan saute onion in butter until tender.  Stir in water and potatoes.  Cover and cook 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender, stir and scrape bottom occasionally with metal spatula.  Stir in blended flour.  Stir in rest of the ingredients.  Cover.  Cook 5-10 minutes longer, until potatoes are done and soup is hot.  Serves 4.
WW PointsPlus™ = 11.5 pts. per serving

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe..I loved this soup! I'm always game to try a new soup recipe! My kids said it tasted like ham & scalloped potatoes but in a soup form:) Made this with the honey buns tonight. Both were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you tried it! It's definitely a favorite here and so easy. What I like about it is that I can decide to make little more than an hour before serving. We always have "Red Lobster Biscuits" with it. I will have to photograph them and share the recipe next time around....

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments!