About Me

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Chowder

This time of year brings out the soups in me :).  This one is a favorite for me and my family.  Sometimes a cheesy soup is a little too cheesy, I like the consistency of this one.  I almost always purchase and slow cook a whole chicken when I make a recipe that calls for chicken.  It makes for an easy way to get nice moist chicken with a mix of light and dark meat.


Cheesy Chicken Chowder
3 c. chicken broth
2 c. diced, peeled potatoes
1 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. diced celery
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/3 c. flour
2 c. milk
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. diced, cooked chicken

In 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil.  Reduce heat; add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan; add flour and mix well.  Gradually stir in milk; cook over low heat until slightly thickened.  Stir in cheese and cook until melted; add to broth along with chicken.  Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. 6-8 servings (approx. 14 cups).
WW PointsPlus™ = 5 pts. per cup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments!