About Me

Monday, February 25, 2013

Barbecue For Sandwiches

When I make this my kids ask who is coming over.  My "company" meal typically consists of this served with Mom's Coleslaw.  Our preference is to actually put the coleslaw into the bun with the meat.  I love this because you make it a day ahead of serving, which leaves the day of "company" open for other preparations.  The recipe calls for beef, I use 4 pounds of beef or pork, most often it's a bit of both.  Of course the home-made buns are a must also.  Just use this bread machine recipe, minus the garlic, shape into buns instead of sticks.


Barbecue For Sandwiches
1-1/3 c. water
1 lg. onion, chopped
3/4 c. celery, chopped
3/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. barbecue sauce
4 T. lemon juice
3 T. vinegar
3 T. brown sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 lbs. beef pot roast

Combine all ingredients, pot roast last, in large casserole or slow cooker (I always use slow cooker).  Bake 6+ hours (until meat is so tender it flakes) at 325°.  Separate meat by flaking with fork.  Chill overnight.  Before reheating, skim any separated fat.  Serve in hamburger buns.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! I put a pork roast in this morning for sandwiches and if I hadn't bought hard rolls, I'd totally make those buns. That's what I get for not keeping up with your blog! Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to to rate my all time favorite recipes, the ones I make over and over again, this one would be in the top 3! It's soooo easy!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments!